Dash Cam Reviews – The buying guide for the best
Dash Cam Reviews – You can’t miss these top picks and the best dash cam for your car in 2017!
The rising popularity of dashboard cameras nowadays have given birth to many new manufacturers and good brands who sell dash cams. So the question is which one is the right camera for your car. Like many other modern gadgets, car camcorders come with various features, functionalities and options too. So it might be somewhat confused to select from a plethora of these cameras available in the market. At dashcameraportal.com, we have published many reliable dash cam reviews, showcased the best and the worst of each model after having experienced them ourselves. We will try to specifically describe the pros and cons so that you can find the best dash cam fit your needs.
To make things nice and simple, we’ve put altogether the best dash cam in the market and our suggestion for your best bet.
Discover the Best Dash Cam in this Roundup Review
Picking the only one dash cam out of hundreds can be overwhelming, so we’ve chosen five top-rated dashcams to help you review in the most detailed ways.
Top 5 best dash cam reviews
We will take a look at the top 5 dashcams currently available in the market. The top 5 dashcams listed here are based on a deep research related the to product features, customer reviews and our own experiences of their use. These are the highlights of those dash cams and reasons why you need no more wait to buy any of them.
This model is made by a famous Korean manufacturer- BlackVue that gives worldwide supply and good service on their dash cam products. With its untypical and lightweight design, buyers like us can be no more worried of having the car camcorder block your view in front.
The Good Stuff:
It’s very light-weight and can easily stay behind your rearview mirro so that it will not block your driving sight.
- The camera can rotate 360 degrees and with the second channel recording from behind, the car can be well secured everywhere you go or park. It is considered as well-equipped dashboard camera for user protection since it is supported with accident detection features such as G-sensor, built-in GPS to mark specific location and date, etc.
Its high quality photo resolution for both channels is also a plus for this camera. Unlike BlackVue DR400, it now comes with iOS or Mac software programs so that you can watch or control your video recordings through iPhone or Mac-books. You may be reluctant to get one when seeing its price; however, with its full of useful options and stable performance, you will not regret having one.
The Bad Stuff:
- One of the issues is its wifi connection. Sometimes, we have issues in connecting wifi as the Cloud app will constant be on and off.
- One of the other thing to talk about is its pricy price. Honestly, it is offered at a relatively high price compared to other dash cams in the market. However, to consider all of its features, it is still a good bid for your dash cam purchase
Transcend DrivePro 220
We all have heard of Transcend being a #1 manufacturer of high-technology products and their dash cams are also one kind of those.
Transcend Drive-Pro 220 is indeed a good gadget for those who spend considerable amount of time on the road. This dash cam is a fully featured video recording camera from a considerably good brand at an affordable price and a 2-year warranty! So, what’s not to like?
The Good Stuff:
- With a 2.4-inch LCD screen with a 3.2-oz. weight, it is a very compact yet high quality design camera.
- It is also a user-friendly, meaning as easy-to-set-up, camcorder and can be easily connected to smart phones through WiFi.
- Unlike Transcend 200, it is supported with up to 64GB memory card so that you can save much more videos you want for the same period of time.
- Also, it is equipped with all outstanding features that enhance the driver safety such as Lane Departure Warning System, Forward Collision Warning System, Speed Alarm, and so on.
- Its video quality is considerably high thanks to its ability to balance light and whiteness. In a meantime, its price is amazingly affordable to all of us.
The Bad Stuff:
- Video only being saved as short clips
- Another bad feature is its short lasting built-in battery when unplugged into the car power and audio issues with distortions and low quality.
Falcon Zero F360
I have to say that Falcon was really creative in producing a dash cam that can look like and work well as a rear-view mirror.
If you are fed up with installing your dash cams using wires, clips or suction cups, Falcon F360 would help you overcome this frustration. All you need to do is hook it up onto your current rear-view mirror through its stamps behind the camera. What makes you more satisfied once having it is that it has 2 cameras to record everywhere around your car and its high video resolution to watch things in details?
The Good Stuff:
- Despite being as big as a mirror, it is actually very light-weight and easily attached to the the real mirror in your car. The package itself comes with handy tools such as cord management clips, USB charger, microSD card with connector, etc.
- Like BlackVue Dr650-2CH, Falcon dash cam can record videos both in the front and in the back with adjustable view range.
- What makes it stand out also can be its night recording, and this is such a good news for anyone that commutes more after the sun sets.
- Its internal battery is also incredibly durable as it can last for up to 1 hour without plug into the power connector.
- With its competitive price, this is such a good deal for those who need 2 car camcorders in your car for higher level of safety.
The Bad Stuff:
- The menu buttons are sometimes not that easy to maneuver. However, once you have a clear instruction, you can master that and control whatever function as you desire. For this, we also go over the constructions in details on our website for those of you who have bought this camera.
- Another drawback is that sometimes, when the camera is too exposed to the light, it will be lightly whitewashed and the mirror itself can sometimes be dimmer than the regular one.
Papago! Gosafe 535
As we all know, Papago! has been a very promising dash cam producers around the world as they have launched more and more well-designed and stable cameras, one of which is Papago! Gosafe 535.
If you are concerned about the rise in collision and insurance claims, Papago! Gosafe 535 can indeed provide you with a better solution at approximately $130 with Loop Recording and Motion Detection. The price is reasonable and definitely, it would be one of the most useful and effective choices for the buyers taking all of its benefits into consideration.
The Good Stuff:
- For its design, Papago! Gosafe 535 is somehow similar but slightly smaller than Transcend DP220 above.
- Besides, this is also a user-friendly dash cam as it is set default to start recording right after its power is on.
- One of the most outstanding features of GoSafe 535 is that it delivers super wide angle view up to 160 degrees.
- There is also loop recording that will automatically overwrite your videos once your memory space is full.
- Motion detection is also well-functioning in this Papago! dash cam. Papago! Gosafe 535 absolutely can capture your attention with these outstanding supporting functions.
The Bad Stuff:
- One of those could be the “not-so-available” for Mac users. What I mean is, if you want to open the video in Mac, you need to convert the videos as videos are recorded in AVI format, supported by Microsoft only. However, this is not a big deal as you can download online the converting program and then, it will work as perfectly as in other computers.
- Other popular features in the marketplace such as GPS and Stop Sign Warning have not been supported or outdated
Our last review belongs to AUSDOM AD 282 which is one of the best seller among other dash cam products available in the market.
For choosing a dash cam that can support with lots of helpful features, AUSDOM AD282 can be the one. So, apparently, it’s the bang for the buck for anyone who wishes to have a dash cam in their car!
The Good Stuff:
- Even though its design is not as professional and detailed as others, its compact size is good enough not to disturb the driver’s view when mounted inside your car.
- And despite being offered at such a very low price, it is still a very convenient dashboard camera with lots of useful functionalities.
- It is also very simple to use and work with its navigation menu by following what is shown on screen.
- The video resolution is relatively high with accurate defined colors while its audio quality is impressively excellent with high frequency range and sensitivity.
- Buyers may feel reluctant to own this model because of its very low price offered, but honestly, it still functions steadily up to some points that you can expect.
The Bad Stuff:
- The camera does offer the Night Vision mode. However, it only works well with low light environment, so when being exposed too much to the brightness ( e.g. the street lights), the video quality will worsen off.
- Furthermore, unlike Transcend Drive Pro 220, it does not have either built-in GPS, the forward collision warning or the lane departure warning system.
And The Winner Is..?
After some time I have been using the dash cams, I believed that good dash cams should be able to record nonstoppably over time, keep an accurate marking of our speed an location, record well in the front and in rear and give us good evidence of what may happen once our cars are parked. And we could conclude in this dashcam review that BlackVue DR650GW 2CH can satisfy me all with those requirements being my front and rear dash cam.
Its high price may scare you off when you first search for it, but looking into details, you would be surprised of how beneficial it is being as your car dash cam.
BlackVue DR650GW 2CH
Clever Choosing Best Dash Cam for Your Car
What are the specifications of the foremost in-car cam?
Are you looking for the dash cam with the most useful function? Or the one with the most reasonable price? You’ve come to the right place, because we would help you make the best and the most satisfactory choice of the right car camcorder. You have found various kinds of dashboard cameras(also known as dash cam) at stores or online, but you only need to pick the best type. It is a worthwhile expenditure of time to understand clearly what those dash cams offer you with the best performance or at the lowest price.
Video quality and resolution
This is the most important factor for choosing a dash cam. So if you are planning to use your dash cam for more than just declining a fraud claim, you can go for a higher resolution camera that can record high quality (HQ) images or videos and view them in a big LCD TV clearly later on. A camera should be able to capture views in details at the long distance. It will also need to handle the motion well with high-definition (HD). You should look for a camera that can capture 30 FPS or more. You should get a camera that supports at least Full HD resolution (1920×1080 pixels). Some expensive cameras support even higher resolution of 2560×1080 pixels.
The recording angle of most dash cam in the market is about 120 degrees. A camera with a wide angle will surely cover a larger area on both sides. What’s more, some advanced cameras have been updated to improve this angle up to 140 degrees. When choosing a dash cam, make sure that your recording angle is large enough for a wide .
Wouldn’t it be better to install only one camera that would offer not only a good record during your drive journey but also the direction to a desired location? Then, a GPS-enabled camera would be in your list of considerations. Obviously, a camera with GPS would possibly record your journey, your driving speed and also a way to where you want to go .
Night Video Quality
All dashcams are basically designed to record at night, but some have an upgraded night vision mode. You may have heard of the High Dynamic Range feature which helps brighten up the details. If you are the kind of person that would commute more after dusk, you should start to consider having cameras with this feature.
Size of the camera
Camera models run the gamuts from small to large. Depending on the size of your car windscreen, you can opt for the suitable one. If, for instance, you only have a mini car windscreen, having a large camera will look bulky for your car. Choose the best size of dashcam that will not block your driving sight. If you want extremely compact dash cam, luckily, the market offers you a cam without screen like Blackvue DR650GW, and you can later use 3G to review your recorded videos in your mobile devices urgently.
Some models have LCD displays that allow you to be easily adjusted. However, the screen can sometimes be distracting and limit the mount options. A good camera should always be have a clear display with flexible automated time to turn off.
Of course, you would rather have dash cams with the largest video storage that you don’t need to delete the videos any time you make a new journey. Therefore, you should choose the cams with the memory card that can store as much capacity as possible. The current dash cams in the market supports the buyers up to 64GB Micro SDHC.
In most cases, a battery is not always included as most dash cams can be connected to the car. However, some models have a slot for battery. This is quite useful whenever you want to monitor the car when it is not running or you take your camera out of car in some special case. With these purposes in mind, the best dash cam should have a built-in battery.
If you are paranoid about people vandalizing your car while it is in the parking lot, you can consider having this feature in your dash cam. When you turn on this feature, you have to provide the power to dash cam. Meanwhile, it records continuously while you are parked but it is not saved to memory card. If there is any action damaging your car caught by G-sensor or visual motion detection, footage from 10 seconds before to 60 seconds after the event will be saved.
Top dash cam brand
There are a variety of dash cam brands in the market around. Pick a brand manufacturer that has been in business for years with a stable financial status. It might be reckless just to find one among the cheap options from a little known brand. Keep in mind that a dash cam may need to change some parts over time, e.g., battery, mount, cable, etc. If this happens, you need a reputable and reliable company that is still operating and can guarantee their replacement for their sold products. Once you identify a couple of brands, look at specific models that meet your requirements.
To sum up, below is the infographic about the required features of any best dash cam.
The benefits of dash cams
These are one of the few main advantages of having dash cams in your vehicles. After all these impressive and helpful things dash cams are able to provide, we can totally trust that it is so worth investing our time and money on purchasing the best dash cams that most fit our requirements.
The invention of dash cams can be a major breakthrough to driver support equipment as it will not only record the driving journey with specified locations but also be a perfect assistant to help you drive with ease.
A perfect proof for accidents and tickets
One of the most common and important reasons why car drivers decided to spend their time and money on dash cams is the evidence for any possible accident. Most of the cameras will instantly start recording once the car power is on. And since then, it will provide clear footage of accident that may happen in front of your car. Imagine once you get into a car crash, you can step out and prove right away to others, including the police or in the court trial, how you find yourself unguilty through those recorded videos. It is also a way to help you out of a traffic ticket. There are many cases when the police stop you in middle of the street to accuse you of a violation you didn’t commit. At those times, you can calmly show the police your car camcorder videos to protest the ticket. You know how serious that ticket means to your driving record so this would keep you out of so much trouble.
Prevention for possible frauds- on street and in the parking lots
Many of us may encounter some kinds of insurance fraud, that we get trapped for the mistakes we do not actually make. They just want us to cover the broken parts of their cars. And we will get into such trouble with the insurance companies for those claims and the increase in periodic payments. If the “so-called” victim in the accidents gets injured, we also need to cover their hospitalization fees. What’s worse, those people would even target on high-end or luxurious cars to extort more money from the owners. Not to mention that, we even have to pay more money to fix the damaged parts of our cars. Thus, we can clearly prove our innocence by showing any related party the captured videos from our dash cams.
Another problem a dash cam can help you get out of is parking accidents. It would be such a night mare when you get into your parking space and realize there is some scratch or damage on your car. Wouldn’t it be better if you could identify who did it last night? With the advances of technology, dash cams have been installed with the parking mode that can keep recording even without turning on your engine. And more surprisingly, it can give you a warning alarm with noise or motion detection features every time there’s someone around your car. Hence, dash cam is the most effective proof you can use to defend yourself in case of car accidents and tickets.
Good way to avoid badly-behaved drivers
Some undisciplined drivers like the drunken ones are also the big concerns for anyone who is driving behind them. And it is not too rare to be in that situation once in our entire driving time. These can be the irresponsible drivers who are addicted to texting messages or keep phones constantly in their hands, or who are way too drunk to wisely control their driving wheels. No matter how irresponsible and bothersome they are, they may also put your lives in danger. Of course, we all want to live a safer place and protect people around from unwanted accidents; meanwhile, catching them red-handed is not an easy task as they may get away during the time they get reported or the police are on their way. This is how preparing a good dash cam comes into play as it will be able to record all possible incidents that take place even just in the blink of an eye. Some with the built-in GPS will show exactly the location and the speed of those drivers.
Less worries when your cars are on someone else’s hands
Are you feeling tense when you lend your car or let someone else control your car? Sometimes, you would be in the situation that your teenage child may take your car around without your permission and you would be highly stressed out staying at home. If that’s the case, having a dash cam would be the best option. You could know how the drivers are able to control the wheels, you even could know how fast they would go and even could control their speed by the speed alarm that has lately supported in some dash cams. For some new and unskilled drivers, they would have a clearer guide with the dash cams since there are Lane Departure Warning System and Forward Collision Warning System that will give intense alarms anytime they drive out of the assigned lane or get too close to the car ahead. So, your car would be kept at a perfect distance from any car around yours.
FYE- For Your Entertainment
Many people enjoy time driving on the streets to places around the country as road trips these days have become more and more popular. Hence, dashboard camera can perfectly play a role of your “trip story teller” when you want to show how your trip would be to your friends. Investing in a dash cam with good video resolution is not a bad idea either as you can show them the incredible objects on the road in perfect details. This can also be the unforgettable moment to cherish through years. Even if you are not totally an outdoor person, you can also be amazed by how many features the dash cam can offer and benefit you. It can function as a real camera for high quality audio and photos with the located date and locations marked on the camera.
In a world with the increasing number of accidents, we need some equipment to record what has happened during our driving trip. Some people use a smart phone to record videos, but this does not bring a perfect image recording. Your phone gets exposed to the sun which degrades its battery life. Having a dash cam is the best option for your car. These cams are designed to take quality videos while you are driving and at the same time they withstand the adverse environment. However, it is always head-aching when it comes to making a wise choice for purchasing a dash cam. What we have reviewed so far in terms of brands, functionalities and models can give you a better look of what type of dash cams can bring you the most benefits and match with your expectations.